The Talcottville Congregational Church is a small friendly family church located in the southwest corner of the town of Vernon in the village known as Talcottville. This community developed as a result of textile mills established on the Hockanum and Tankerrosen rivers and the resultant growth of the area.
The founding and growth of these mills in this early New England community resulted from the planning, foresight and efforts of the Talcott family who built these mills and homes along the banks of the river and pond. As the community and business grew so did the need for this church grow. So in 1866, the Talcottville Congregational Church was founded with the first public service in the first edifice on December 2, 1866 and its dedication on March 13, 1867.
The organ in Talcottville Congregational Church was built in 1912 by the J.W. Steere & Son Organ Company of Springfield, Massachusetts, one of America’s most respected organ-building companies. The Talcottville organ, while much smaller than the very large and famous Steere organs built for the Springfield municipal auditorium and Woolsey Hall Yale University, nevertheless shows the same careful construction and attention to detail which characterized the work of the Steere organization, and which was cause for its fine reputation.
10 Elm Hill Road, Vernon, CT 06066 – 860.649.0815 – firstname.lastname@example.org